032 The Underwater Menace by Geoffrey Orme
Illustrated by gluecookie
Season 4, Story 5:
The TARDIS lands on an extinct, volcanic island. However, there is something hidden below, something thought lost of centuries… Atlantis!
A mad scientist of the Atlantean people has convinced their hybrid fish people who farm for plankton that Atlantis can rise again! However, he isn’t planning to bring the city up, he’s hoping to plunge the world downwards, drain the oceans and destroy the planet!
The Doctor must make the decision… save the city or save the world!
STORY FACTS ~
- Parts of this story are MISSING. Only the middle two episodes survive.
- It features the Second Doctor and companions Polly Wright, Ben Jackson and Jamie McCrimmon.
- The story begins with each companion thinking of where they would like to land next. This is the first (and one of the only) examples of internal monologue in the show.
- In the season before this, the Doctor was called “Doctor Who” by WOTAN, and in this story his signs his name as “Dr. W”.
- Working titles for this story include The Fish People, Doctor Who Under the Sea, Under the Sea and Atlanta.