do people realize if they included poc in frozen, they would most likely have to be slaves
it’s the same issue with brave, it’s not historically accurate sorry
yes, but this argument isn’t a very good one, because last i checked there weren’t talking bears or snowmen in history either….
i’m gonna assume that op thinks “poc” automatically equals “black people”
and even ignoring that fault in logic they seem to think every black person that existed before the 20th century was a slave and that’s sad on so many levels
I STUDY ANCIENT SCANDINAVIA AS A HOBBY PLS READ THIS POST
- slavery was abolished in Scandinava in the viking age
- There are Asian y-dna haplogroups carried by a minority of ethnic Swedes that indicate that Asian people with y-chromosomes settled in the region in the migration period and were prolific enough for unbroken y-chromosomal lineages from them to survive to this day
- there was a fucking jade buddha found in a migration period site in Scandinavia
- also there are grave sites in eastern Viking Age Sweden showing women (or transfeminine people potentially because there are indeed cases of male skeletons from the viking age buried with feminine grave goods and i think also vice versa) wearing necklaces of green beads which are apparently a fashion adopted from asian people
- also there are the native Saami population of northern Sweden who have lived there since before Scandinavians settled there and on which the clothes of the dude Sven are clearly based
- in viking age treasure stashes you will see a LOT of obviously Arabic silver coins (it has arabic writing on it) indicating active trade with the Middle East
- Ibn Fadlan, a muslim Arab, wrote about Rus traders visiting in Constantinople, he actually spend some time living with Scandinavians settled in continental Europe as Rus and wrote a book about it and it’s an important literary source on the viking age
- They were not recently Scandinavian but ultimately originate from there, but the Vandals actually invaded North Africa and established a kingdom there in the late 5th century, and there is no reason why the native Amazigh peoples and the Vandals could not have interacted in practice even if the Vandal rulers ideologically isolated themselves as an elite. The kingdom was later destroyed by Amazigh and invading Arabs and the Vandals themselves sort of dispersed.
- I know less about this but there have been massive waves of Jewish (obviously ultimately from the middle east) and Romani migrations (from the Indian subcontinent) into Europe since at most the 8th century, though I have no knowledge of the nature of Jewish and Romani migrations into Scandinavia specifically
My point being is that if there was nothing stopping poc from interacting with, travelling to or even living in Scandinavia in the migration period and viking age without them necessarily being slaves, then there’s nothing stopping poc from interacting with, travelling to or living in Scandinavia in later periods.
also check out medievalpoc.tumblr.com it is a gr9 blog
The misogynistic fantasies of black male rappers have clearly struck a chord in white male America. These artists and their record companies figured out years ago that there was a big white market for lyrics about men treating women like dirt. If a majority of (white) boys and men were turned off by the contemptuous attitudes toward women expressed in rap and other forms of music, market forces in music production and distribution would long ago have caused the sexism to fade. So we need to turn our attention to the demand side of the marketing equation. What is going on in contemporary white gender and sexual politics that prepares so many white suburban males to accept such crude expressions of anger and contempt for women?"
Jackson Katz, Macho Paradox: Why Some Men Hurt Women and How All Men Can Help (via wretchedoftheearth)
i think here its important to note its violence against BLACK women unless the rapper/artist is specifying otherwise and their is something more to be said about the enjoyment of recollections of violence against Black women when young white men are the inheritors of a rape and enslaving legacy against Black women that they still proudly boast to one another in private…
I’m a big supporter of people getting worked up, to be fair. I’m all for discussing terms and people’s ideas about what they mean, because honestly I think agreeing on definitions is the first step to productive arguing.
Then again, the same people who get upset about the term “Dark Ages” are often the same people who are incensed when you point out that Eurasians gained immunity to diseases via centuries of rolling around in cow turds and drinking the same water they pooped in.
Much of the credit for European military success in the New World can be handed to the superiority of their weapons, their literary heritage, even the fact they had unique load-bearing mammals, like horses. These factors combined, gave the conquistadors a massive advantage over the sophisticated civilisations of the Aztec and Inca empires.
And then goes on to admit the truth:
They had never experienced smallpox, measles or flu before, and the viruses tore through the continent, killing an estimated 90% of Native Americans.
It’s pretty easy to defeat a continent with your superior literary heritage when 90% of them are already dead.