the adaptation ebook by malinda lo is apparently $4.99 right now!!! why should you read this book, you ask???????
- malinda lo is basically the best person, she is a qwoc writer and she blogs on her website and on tumblr about writing, diversity in ya, queerness, and race issues!! she is on tumblr as malindalo and diversityinya (which is a gr9 tumblr)
- she is also on the 2013 autostraddle hot 100, which is a great honor (jasika nicole is in the top 10, btw, hell yeahhhhhh)
- queer female lead character in a scifi book YOU KNOW YOU CAN’T SAY NO TO THAT
- m/f/f love triangle which as we all know is the best kind of love triangle (and it’s not done in any annoying/problematic way)
- the next most important character because reese (the main character) is an asian american guy named david and he is a+
- it is a great book
- scifi plus DIVERSITYYYYYYY
- do not read if you are very freaked out by birds
- the sequel is coming out in a few months and the cover looks pretty awesome
- malinda lo wanted a cover involving water for the first one and a mirror for the sequel but she didn’t want it to look super passive and weird like most girls on ya covers look (she blogged about this on her website) and thus, they look awesome and the model on the cover IS STARING YOU DOWN
- i read it in one night because i had to know what happened, that is always a good sign
- in a scene of elementary you can see adaptation in the corner at a bookstore. i bet joan watson read it. but have YOU?
- her other two books, ash and huntress, are both excellent (especially huntress imo). ash is based on cinderella only it is now a queer love story, BAM. huntress is also a queer love story and it has poc saving the kingdom and shit. my favorite
- i can see huge improvements between each of her books so inheritance is probably gonna blow everyone’s MIND like seriously i am so excited for it
- afterellen says about inheritance, the sequel: “ In less than 500 pages, Malinda explores race relations, sexual fluidity, gender identity, Internet commenting culture, modern news media, and other really important topics I can’t talk about because of spoilers. And she does it all seamlessly. One of the big motifs of Inheritance is empathy, and the book itself is a prejudice-vanquisher for vastly underrepresented members of the queer community.”
- tell me that’s not the best thing you’ve ever heard
- in conclusion, malinda lo
- also buy the adaptation ebook
welp you’ve sold me. Purchased from Kobo for my ereader.